Skip to main content

Personal Projects: Book Design

Book Design

In a previous post I talked about personal projects and why they are important. I just started a new personal project that I have found extremely relaxing and fun.

I am a book junkie, I love reading. I love books of all different genres and topics, when I find a good book I can't put it down. When I was brainstorming different personal project ideas it seemed obvious that books should fall on the list somewhere. While trying to evolve this idea to design something including books the first thought was of course the cover and the layout on the inside, but I quickly felt skeptical about this idea because of the amount of time it would take to read the book and the amount of time that it would take for me to design the entire thing.

After coming up with ideas and quickly dismissing them for about an hour I finally landed on my final project objective.

Objective

To relax and have fun while designing and developing book cover designs, while improving my illustration skills.

Once I had a good objective to focus on I had to decide what I was going to design and illustrate to achieve my goals. I decided to read a book, new or old, and while reading I would sketch. Throughout the time reading the book I would develop a set of illustrations that relate to the book in some way, characters, scenes, buildings, signs, etc. And when I finished the book I would then design and develop the book cover and layout.

With this plan I can do something creative throughout the time I am reading the book, I have a big project at the end of each book, and this plan would improve my illustration skills, create more portfolio work, and would be a ton of fun.

I just started this project last week and I am already loving it!

What are some of your favorite personal projects?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Prices for Clients

Pricing Projects for Clients Things to know before you create an estimate and give a client a price The scope Functionality Requirements Timeline Ways to make creating estimates and developing prices easier Determine your hourly rate Create a list of how many hours you need to complete each task Save these lists and track your time as you work, to make the next estimate easier Giving Prices to client I would recommend giving your clients a flat rate rather than an hour estimate and an hourly rate If you choose to do it this way you should make sure to give your client a detailed list of what you are providing for them and then give the price.

Prepping for a Client Meeting

Prepping for a Client Meeting When preparing to meet with a client for the first time it is important to be prepared. You can't know everything they need, but you want to make sure to have some idea. Here is a list of things you can do before the meeting to be prepare for a redesign. Communication Chances are you have had some communication with your potential client already, maybe they told you a general idea of what they want or maybe they gave you a lot of details. Either way it's important that you remember this information and have it available to you during the meeting. I would recommend creating a list of the needs and requests they have already given you before the meeting. Research: Part One Part one of research is to spend some time researching what you are redesigning, whether it's a website, magazine, or marketing materials. It's important to have an understanding of what they already have, if it's a website know what pages they have, find the abou

Personal Projects

Personal Projects What are they? Why should you do them? How to get started? What are personal projects? We are designers simply because we love to design, to make things beautiful, useful, and memorable. Personal projects are design projects that you do for yourself, in this case you are the art director, the client, and the designer. That is something we won’t get in our everyday work whether working with a client as a freelancer or working in a design agency. Why are personal projects important? Personal projects can be useful for a number of reasons, they can be used to improve skills, learn something new, take control and build confidence, and just to have fun. Improve skills You can improve skills you already have by creating a project that uses that skill. For example if you enjoy illustrating and want to improve your illustrating skills create a project where you can do a lot of illustrations, like creating illustrations based on characters from your favorite movi